Last Updated on by
Coffee, a common drink of millions of people in the world who love to drink and enjoy it with all of its flavors. But unfortunately, the actual fact is that coffee plants have Chlorogenic acid inherently, which is stored in coffee bean too. Among the plant territory, the coffee plants contain the highest amount of Chlorogenic acid. So, the coffee bean is congenitally acidic, but trust me, this is not the bad thing at all. Actually, this acid gives coffee the strong taste and the flavor which help you to freshen up. But everybody cannot endure the acid. And you can take some best coffee for acid reflux which are low acid coffees brands. There are some acid free coffee too.
Does coffee cause acid reflux?
Here, you can get the answer of coffee heartburn relief. The downside of this acid is that some may experience the burning sensation in the chest like heartburn and annoying side effects with acid reflux. As the popularity of coffee increases, it increases the suffering of some people and acid reflux symptoms too.
But what is the way out now? Would you stop taking the most popular drink? No need! Keeping these people in mind, there are many famous coffee brands on the market besides the high acidic coffee, which are called low acid coffees or acid free coffee. These would help you to reduce acidity of your stomach and control GERD.
Let’s share some more foods for your betterment, that is responsible for acid reflux. Those are-Chocolate, spices in cooking, banana, ginger, egg white, melons, peppermint etc. You may control the intake of those food. Let’s have a look to some Low Acid Coffee
6 Best Coffee for Acid Reflux for 2020 (Low Acid Coffee Brands)
Coffee without acid is not available. But here you can get the information on several types of low acid decaf coffee brands- And you can get the answer that how to get rid of acid reflux. Let’s know about some low acid brands of coffee.
Puroast Best Coffee for Acid Reflux
- There is no bitterness and however, is low acidic coffee
- 7 times more antioxidants than that of green tea.
- It is clean and smells a little bit mellow.
- 70% lower in acid.
- It is an organic French roast which is much darker than others and of intense flavor.
Tylers Acid Free Acid Free Coffee Brands
- Organic coffee as “A Bee Organic”
- First and Only Acid free coffee
- Comes from Mexico.
- Made in a scientific process from the beginning.
- There is no added flavor that is easy for your stomach.
Folgers for Acid Reflux
- Originated in New Orleans, Louisiana. People love this specially for its nice aroma and smoothness on stomach.
- Medium Roasted with blended sweet aroma.
- The coffee can be available in single serve, k-cup pods and instant packet.
- Specially prepared for heartburn problems and quite comfortable on stomach.
Java Planet for Acid Reflux
- It is an Arabica coffee which is best low acid organic coffee and originated from Colombia.
- The coffee is medium roasted which can be suitable for all types of preferences.
- The flavor is intense with dark cocoa and chocolate taste.
- As it is medium roasted, the coffee is mildly acidic and exciting.
Healthwise for Acid Reflux
- Organic coffee originated in Colombia and best low acid brews
- It is less acidic and prevents coffee heartburn.
- Healthwise coffee reduces the acid level of the coffee products by an industry method named “techno roasting”. It is used to preserve the vitamin, minerals, antioxidants, which would be lost during the traditional way.
- Moreover, the coffee flavor is very mild and helps to reduce the acid reflux.
- During pregnancy and nursing, a mother opts to reduce the caffeine and keep a diet plan for a better feeling. So Mommee coffee is specially marketed for the women to use in their maternity.
- It is the medium roasted coffee.
- Additionally, you can find the coffee 5 times less Chlorogenic acid than others.
- You can find a chocolate note, nutty seasoning as well as gentle sweetness.
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
With the simple way you can say that the GERD is the problem of the acidity or heartburn or stomach problem. In the medical term we can say that GERD, that is a indigestion which affect the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), part of the stomach. In daily life you have to control this with a balanced diet and ideal food habit. Otherwise no permanent treatment is available here. Some types of elements trigger the problem more such as caffeine.
How Does Caffeine affect GERD?
Here is no certain strong evidences about the negative effect of the caffeine on GERD but coffee and heartburn is related. However people with GERD sometimes complain of problems after having coffee or taking caffeine in other way. In other way we can say that every individual has different effect on GERD with different foods. Among these, some may have the discomfort after taking caffeine. So for their satisfaction they can have the decaf coffee on their daily diet to reduce coffee GERD problem.
Coffee and Heartburn: The Causes of Acid Reflux
Inherent Acid of Regular Coffee
Coffee does not only produce Chlorogenic acid in its element, but it also triggers the acid production in the stomach too, which will cause a heart burning sensation. The low acid ground coffee is the best for that problems.
Coffee with Caffeine
Another acidic element in coffee is the caffeine. Moreover, who are not sensitive about acid, may have the delicacy with caffeine. avoid hyper-caffeination by drinking those. Stomach pain and irritations are the main acid reflux symptoms. It triggers the heartburn.
Coffee oil slows down the digestion process of the stomach. This apparently leads to acid stimulation and causes heartburn. The coffee oil effects those much who have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Still have confusion? Then go through this –
What the Science Says of Coffee Heart Burn?
As usual, science has put the major blame to combination of elements rather than one single element. The thing is that the most complex bean which substitutes many other important atoms include pyrogallol, chlorogenic acid, N- hydroxytrptamides and alkanoyl- catechol etc. The availibility of just chlorogenic acid doesn’t trigger acidity in coffee. The heartburn increases when the chlorogenic acid mixes with the pyrogallol or alkanoyl- catechol. Especially the prevalence of a combination of those ingredients can trigger the heartburn most. One single element may restrain the acid production with the help of other elements.
Can I Drink Coffee with Acid Reflux?
Most people are concerned about their acidity problem and finds the way out control even with drinking coffee. Because, for them, coffee is a must drink to keep themselves awake and strength to do work for long time. Since there is no any coffee without acid, here is the solution for them. The low acid level contained coffee can be healthy during acid reflux. These products are made for that specific reason that heartburn problem can’t be instigated by coffee.
What is Low-Acid Coffee?
The coffee designed and processed with the removal of any kinds of elements that trigger the acidity is called low acid coffee. You can manage coffee by different processes. Follow the procedures below that help to produce the low acid coffee; the best coffee for acid reflux.
How to Reduce Acid in Coffee?
Now it’s high time to explain how you can manage the coffee to avoid acid reflux and reduce with acid in the coffee or take low acid coffee or decaf coffee with maintaining the quality. By these procedures you can stop coffee heartburn.
Use Arabica Coffee Beans
Don’t use Robusta Bean. Robusta beans are high acid coffee and higher caffeine content. Try using only Arabica coffee beans; the low acid coffee brands. These are the best acid free coffees. These beans are harder to grow due to their delicate structure, which gives them a smooth, rich, sweet, taste with less acid and caffeine. High acid level is not supportive for irritated stomach and indigestion. Arabica bean is a low acid content.
Choose a Darker Roast Coffee
Choose a darker roast coffee for coffee heartburn relief. It turns in to reduced acid coffee by removing the organic acid. A longer roasted coffee bean will generally have more acid burned off by destroying the coffee oil. Plus, you will experience wonderful, complex flavors found only in the darker roast.
Use Cold Brew Method
Change up your brewing method. Temperature has an impact on reducing acid levels. Cold Brew methods that will reduce acid to 65% are, French press and Chemex. It reduces the acid by extracting the flavor by mixing it with cold water. You can heat it to warm up coffee later because the acid already has neutralized during brewing. The cold brew method will remove more acid to get rid of coffee heartburn relief. And in addition, you can even make the non-acidic coffee at home. It can reduce the acidity of bean to 77% than a hot brew does and it happens with the same beans.
Use Coffee Tamer
You can use Coffee Tamer in your favorite coffee brand to neutralize the acid in coffee. Moreover, it does not work like antacid medicine rather it is preventive and reduces around 90% acid of coffee. Surprisingly, Coffee tamer doesn’t let your stomach digest the acid and solve digestive disorder. Basically it reduces the acidity of coffee. Those who have sensitive stomach should regularly drink lower caffeine content.
Drink Organic Low Acid Decaf Coffee
Many people ask that is decaf coffee acidic or alkaline? The answer is no, you can drink the decaf coffee with acid reflux which is less acidic coffee or free of acid, where the most amount of caffeine has been removed to make it healthy. Low acid decaf coffee has only 8 to 14 mg of caffeine, whereas, normal brewed coffee has about 70 mg of caffeine. These are stomach-friendly for soothing angry stomachs or upset Stomachs.
Put Crushed Egg Shells on Coffee
Crushed egg shells are another element, which can help to reduce the acid in coffee. The eggshell is an alkaline chemical. Thus it can reduce the acid of coffee beans. Mix it with the ground coffee. Make sure to rinse off the eggs properly before doing that.
Some Other Facts
Low acid instant coffees are; French, Espresso, Dark Italian. Coffee produced in low and parallel areas contain less acid from those of hillock areas. Here are some best low acid coffee brands for those who suffer from acid reflux.
Coffee and heartburn may be related to some extent for a sensitive person for acidity. So, you can choose among them to meet the craving for coffee. Just for coffee acid reflux, you don’t need to minimize the craving. Trust me, you can relish the coffee without the sufferings.
How to prevent coffee heartburn?
The biggest effort to prevent coffee heartburn is to change the lifestyle. If you can prevent it by identifying other causes of heartburn, you can also reduce coffee heartburn. Here are some tips from experts on lifestyle changes:
- Trying to lose weight
- Using a high pillow in bed
- Avoid smoking
- Eat dinner at least 2 hours before bedtime
Tips for avoiding coffee heartburn
- The habit of drinking coffee before going to bed at night should be completely avoided. In other words, if you lie in bed after drinking coffee, it will interfere with digestion in the stomach.
- You should refrain from drinking coffee after eating heavy meals. Lunch is usually heavy and often we eat high-fat food. Therefore, it is better not to drink coffee after eating this type of food.
- To prevent coffee heartburn, you need to make sure drinking low caffeine coffee which is proven to reduce heartburn problems.
- Most coffee is Sun-Grown and it grows fast but Shade-Grown coffee is a bit expensive but good for health. Therefore, those who have problems with coffee heartburn should drink coffee that uses low acidity Shade-Grown beans.