Last Updated on by
Many people have curiosity with the expired coffee. There have lots of people say that after drinking old coffee they were physically ill. On the other hand, there are many who think that coffee is never expired.
Due to two different opinions, many people are curious about the expired coffee. So, we think some important things can be discussed to overcome the misunderstanding on this issue.
Let’s know the real mystery of expired coffee
Most coffee does not have expiration date. If any brand has no expiration date, I will suggest to skip the brand & find out world famous coffee brands. However, buying a packaged coffee from the store there is an expiration date.
This expiration date is meant to good to use before. It is meant to be used if you use it before the given time. But you can use it over time. If you drink coffee after a long time, you will not get the sweet flavor. Due to this, drinking expired coffee can cause bad taste and many feel ill.
What Can Cause Coffee to go Bad?
Coffee can go bad because of light, moisture & heat. If you keep coffee in the open for long time, coffee can go bad. Make sure that any kind of bad bugs are not available in your kitchen. Moreover, if you keep coffee with unhygienic foods, bacteria can cause coffee to go bad.
Can Expired Coffee Make You Sick?
It depends on the condition of coffee. Everyone’s digestive power is not the same. Therefore, the problem of sickness is different from man to man.
If the coffee is kept open, it may be affected by mold. So in this situation, coffee will lose its freshness and changes in the flavor of coffee.
If you do not store coffee correctly, it may be unsuitable to use even before expiration date. So we think that you should not only rely on the expiration date but also should ensure that the coffee is properly stored.
How to Know If Coffee Has Expired and Gone Bad?
- Color: If the coffee is old, the color of the coffee can be changed. So, before drinking coffee, you should notice the color of the coffee. However, there are some types of coffee which become old but the color does not change.
- Smell: If coffee is old, its smell changes. Because of this, you will miss fresh coffee flavors while drinking coffee. So, before making coffee, check its smell. Otherwise, the time of coffee making and effort will be useless. You will get a fresh smell immediately after you take fresh coffee.
- Taste: Drinking fresh coffee will give you a taste of it. On the other hand, the old coffee will not have good taste. You must want to drink tasty coffee.
How to Store Coffee fresh for long time?
The proper preservation system of coffee is to keep it in a dry cold place and keep it away from the light if possible. Coffee should also be kept in airtight bottles. In this case, instead of using plastic bottles, it is better to store coffee in glass bottles.
You can also read: Coffee thermos for hot coffee
Coffee Storage Containers
There have different airtight Coffee Storage Containers in the market. Look for one-way valve that stops air and light entrance. Below some Coffee Storage Containers brands are mentioned:
- OXO Good Grips POP Container
- Coffee Gator Container with Scoop
- Friis Coffee Vault
- BlinkOne Coffee Canister
- Culinary Prestige Coffee Canister
So, from my point of view it is better drinking fresh coffee rather than old or expired coffee. Do you have any experience with drinking coffee? Feel free to share your expired coffee drinking experience.