Last Updated on by
Do you want to make milk frothing and steaming? How do you like to have your coffee? Milk Steamer vs Milk Frother : This type of question could make confusion for the newcomers. They could not find the distinction between the milk steamer process and the milk frother process. Although they look similar there are some differences exist. However, a milk frother injects more air to the milk whereas a milk steamer heats the milk with the steam wand. As milk is the common ingredient in traditional espresso, it has been frothed or steamed to get its charm. An enthusiastic milk steamer or frother could explore the texture of your milk and in the meantime bring your coffee experience to the next level.
I am here to give you some information on frothed and steamed milk, their usage, and about 4 best milk frother & Steamer for coffee.
Let’s begin our journey:
Frothing is one kind of process where creating “microbubbles” in the milk. It is created by blowing steam air through the milk. Using a milk frother is the easiest way to froth milk. It enhances a nice texture to drinks and develops appearances. For frothing milk, you have to hold the tip of the steam wand above the surface of the milk. Nonetheless, as the milk expands in size, you should lower your pitcher. Otherwise, it will overflow your pitcher. Moreover, you have to place the steam wand in such a way that it creates a vortex in the milk as with steaming the milk. There is a traditional ratio to make cappuccino which is 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk, and 1/3 frothed milk.
Furthermore, the temperature of both the frothing pitcher and the milk should be the same and as cold as possible. Because cold milk produces more foam. Hence, skim milk generates more froth than the whole milk. It gives a more creamy taste.
Streamed milk is different from frothed milk. It offers finer microfoam as well as creates small air bubbles. Steaming milk is used for Lattes, mochas, and hot chocolate. This makes the respective drinks creamy and smooth. It considers as a basis of the traditional latte. By steaming, it becomes heavier and softens texture.
You can get steamed milk by heating the milk with the steam wand. Compared to frothed milk, it contains less density. Nonetheless, still have a bit of foam on top. For producing steamed milk, you have to place the tip of the wand below the surface to create a vortex. It helps the milk to spin in the pitcher and being heated evenly. Then the steam is released slowly from the machine. In that case, control over preventing hot milk is important. Generally, the temperature for steamed milk is 140°F. It could be denatured if you push it higher temperature.
How to Use a Milk Frother?
There are some basic steps you should follow:
- Pour 175 ml of cold milk into a microwavable vessel.
- Heat the milk for one minute to raise the temperature until 150-155° F. Although it varies on personnel. However, a temperature between 140°-160° F remarked as standard. Something more tends to ruin the taste where fewer leads to not froth properly.
- After releasing the milk from microwave, insert your turned off frother fully into the center of the milk pitcher. Then again, the stick has to marginally above the bottom of the pot. Now turn on your frother for 10-15 seconds. After that, it starts to suck air into the milk and creates bubbly foam as you lift it toward the surface of the milk.
- In this stage, you have a good amount of foam. But once again, push the frother back down to the pot. Hold it for 30 seconds to make vortex forms again to break the bigger bubbles. It leaves a nicely textured form. The purpose of the second vortex is to get tiny bubbles which are desirable. This process makes smooth and creamy froth.
How to Use a Milk Steamer?
The processing of milk steamer is quite similar to milk frother with some changes. They are as follows:
- Fill the pitcher with cold milk. Then turn on your espresso machine’s steam button and refresh the steam wand. It distributes the right kind of steam. Again, you have to purge any remaining water from the steam tip to get the dry steam.
- After that, you should put the steam wand under the surface of the milk.
- As the steam wand and dry steam are ready, then execute the steam in full rhythm and begin frothing. While processing, keep your tip position just below the surface of the milk. In that circumstance, ripping, sucking sound might be heard. In the meantime, a whirlpool integrates larger air bubbles into the milk while silky smooth micro-foam is achieved.
- Milk volume will be increased as the temperature of milk increases from 100°F – 115°F. This is why; you don’t need to fill your pitcher fully.
- You have to move your wand tip a little lower into the milk to avoid the big bubbles.
- Don’t heat over 160°F because it will lose your taste.
- After finishing the task, close the steam valve and wipe down the tip. Once again, purge the tip to get better service next time.
You may also read: Chemex VS Pour Over
4 Best milk frother & Steamer for coffee
HadinEEon Milk Frother
The look of HadinEEon Milk Frother is very artistic. Not only is highly functional, but also elegant in design which makes it unique frother. It heats cold milk to 130-149℉ which is the optimum temperature for drinking. However, overheating will damage the nutrients. Ultimately this machine brings you the most creamy and frothy milk foam within 60~120S by pushing just one button.
Frothing whisk and heating whisk are the 2 different tips included here. For instance, for a latte, frothing milk and heat milk could be done simultaneously. Moreover, while pouring you can create latte art appropriately. Though, whole milk is recommended for better results. Besides, this jug is made of stainless steel which is well protected by heat resistant plastic. Besides, the non-stick coating interior gives it a premium level. Let’s have a quick look at features.
- Perfect for making Latte, Cappuccino, and Hot Chocolate.
- Smart LED indicators
- Auto Shut-Off
- Made of premium 304 stainless steel
- Offer 2 different sticks
- Jug spout
VAVA Milk Frother
When you will see the VAVA Electric Milk Steamer, the first thing you will say wow! So nice to look at! This frother is one of the best-selling frothers in the world. It offers various options like cold, warm and hot milk to make cappuccino, macchiatos, lattes, flat whites, and so on. It comes with an extra whisk for additional froth. For example, to have the mass amounts of froth, you need to use thicker coils whisk where the thinner one is used for heating. Likewise, the interior of the machine is made of a special coating that avoids the milk from sticking to the sides and bottom. You can store your unused spare whisk on the lid.
Some indicators will help you to adjust the proper amount of milk inside the jug. E.g. for frothing, use less than 115 ml of milk whereas 240ml milk for heating is adequate. Using whole milk for frothing is given as instructed. Some more features at a glance:
- Scratch-resistant from a metal spoon.
- Easy cleanup.
- Noiseless operation while frothing
- A helpful handy User Guide.
Breville BMF600XL Milk Cafe
Breville is the most renowned name in this technology industry. For those coffee lovers who want foamy milk to make it quickly, Breville BMF600XL electric Frother is the answer. Some advantages are available such as two frothing discs while using it. One is for Latte to have smooth and silky milk whereas cappuccino the other one for thick and creamy froth. Besides this, it works as a chocolate maker by adding some chocolate powder, sauce to the warm milk. On the other hand, it is made of stainless steel with aluminum and polypropylene. Yet, it is executed automatically for hands-free foam making and also easy to handle. Since the product has an induction heating process, you can easily clean your jug in the dishwasher. You can measure and add requirements to the beverage through the measurement cup. Some specifications are as below:
- Maximum capacity of 750 ml.
- 4 settings mode.
- The lid offers a handy removable cap.
- The lid has a unique ring-pull mechanism.
- Operated in one button touch
Secura Automatic Electric Milk Frother
The Secura Automatic Electric Milk Frother is one of the most reliable frothers that you need for all types of beverages. Its outstanding stability and easy operability make it more popular among the users. Whatever the recipe like milk froth hot or cold, you will always have the best experience. This frothing machine can produce hot froth as well as cold froths. Also, at the same time, milk warmer can be used to heat milk. For instance, it delivers hot and cold milk
froth for a cappuccino while heats hot milk for a latte. Moreover, to avoid the annoying situation like frother leaks or spills the milk, it remarks both maximum and minimum level. For this appliance, the maximum capacity for milk froth and hot milk preparations is 125 ml and 250 ml respectively. Its stainless-steel exterior with vacuum insulation makes it more durable. However, you can clean the base due to its detachable opportunity. Hence, some more features like:
- Minimum milk level indicator.
- Easy maintenance
- Eye-catching looks.
- Automatic, easy-to-use system
You may also read: Coffee Filter Alternatives
Final Verdict (Milk Steamer vs Milk Frother)
In the above discussion, it has seen that it is important to determine which milk state you want to have first before choosing the appliance for making coffee. We already know that frothed milk has more volume of foam specially used in foam-filled beverages where steamed milk produces a small amount of microfoam by heating. Besides, you could have sound knowledge on how to use a milk frother and milk steamer. Now it’s time to choose your favorite brand of device. Some features such as cost, easy of uses and cleaning, how much milk it can steam at once are considered before purchasing. For example, Breville BMF600XL cafe milk frother is best because it covers all the settings you need to generate perfect froth. However, Secura automatic electric milk frother is known as a family choice device due to its good capacity. So all four brands are best according to their characteristics as well as have their own users’ forum. You can pick your best one.
Alpana is a barista expert. She got GOURMAND World Cookbook Award for outstanding performance in cooking.