Last Updated on by
This is a top gossip topic among coffee lovers about the coffee bean, Is freshly ground coffee is better than pre-ground or canned ground coffee? The person whose belief that “Fresh is always better” thus believe that freshly grounded coffee is better than all other coffee. Many will say that the opposite. But we believe that I can represent some facts about freshly grounded coffee and pre-ground coffee in this article, which will help you to understand that which is better actually and why?
Usually, we use pre-ground coffee to make our joyous cup of coffee. Because, we can get it easily from the store, which is ready to brew at any time. But do you ever wondered is pre-ground coffee healthy for you? What about freshly ground coffee? Are there any benefits if you use freshly ground coffee? Is freshly ground coffee has any benefits or is it only change the taste of your coffee? What is the difference between pre-ground coffee and freshly ground coffee, actually? Stick around and find out these fundamental answers by yourself from this article.
So, which one is better?
Well, the answer to this simple question can vary by personal taste. It is very hard to tell because everyone has different taste. But, after research from the internet and also from my personal experience, I can tell you the freshly ground coffee is better. Experts have strong evidence to claim that freshly ground coffee is better than pre-ground coffee. They often said that coffee needs to be freshly ground. Let’s have a look why freshly ground coffee is better according to the experts.
Expert suggests using the freshly roasted beans. The taste of a cup of coffee depends about 80 percent on aroma, which depends on the age of coffee bean. They said, if coffee sits for a long time, the taste of coffee will go stale. It is found that coffee bean has around a month of shelf-life after it is roasted. If you don’t use it within a month, you will never get its original aroma and taste. You may not aware that, coffee loses its taste because of aging day by day. The aging process comes from oxygen exposure, ambient heat.
Factors of aging the coffee bean
Oxidation, moisture, and CO2 depletion are the main factors of aging which results in stale the taste of the coffee.
- Oxidation: Oxidation gives your coffee its unique aromas and taste, but it will also carry on when you are not brewing. When you use freshly ground coffee instead of pre-ground coffee, you are actually making your coffee more tasteful.
- Moisture: As a coffee lover, you may know coffee oil is soluble in water, which is obviously a good thing. Because of this, we get the taste and aroma from coffee. But, when the coffee exposed to the environment, the moisture of the environment also can dilute the coffee beans, which degraded the taste.
- CO2 depletion: Improperly storing of coffee beans causes to lose the CO2 level, which is the main agent which transfers beans oil into the coffee. Grinding bean for a long time causes CO2 depletion and also makes the beans harder. Pre-grounded coffee loses its CO2 Level if it sits for a long time.
Except for all these points, there’s another thing you can consider to understand why freshly ground coffee is better. The thing is: When you grind your coffee beans freshly, you have the authority on grind size. As the grind size has important significance on taste, so it matters. If you instantly (freshly) ground your coffee bean, you can ground them as your required size for espresso, pour-over, latte, aero press, french press. For example, French Press needs more coarsely ground coffee, and most of the other coffee requires more finely ground coffee. So you can grind as your requirement. But, if you just buy pre-ground coffee bean, you will not get these advantages. Those points indicate that you should not buy pre-ground coffee. Besides, the cost of pre-grinded whole bean coffee is more than the freshly grounded coffee bean.
Experts suggest that you should use freshly ground coffee for brewing within 30 minutes after grinding. Because the grinding process increases the oxidation level in your coffee. Oxidation reduces the freshness and strength of the flavors. Always remember: Freshest coffee provides you with the best quality coffee.
To keep your bean fresh
- Always buy freshly-roasted beans.
- Use proper airtight storage containers to store.
- Place the freshly-grounded beans in a dry and dark place and away from air, heat, moisture, oxygen.
- Grind only the amount you need certainly. For a delightful aromatic cup of coffee, use coffee bean which has been ground within a week or two maximum.
You need a coffee grinder to grind coffee bean. So that, you can keep your coffee freshly-grounded all the time, and enjoy all of their aromatics. Then use a coffee maker to make your delicious coffee.
Now, let’s know some benefits of fresh ground coffee
Freshly ground coffee has a good number of benefits. I Hope, these tips will motivate you to use the freshly ground coffee rather than pre-ground coffee.
- It helps you to understand/know your coffee better. Freshly grinding coffee provides a unique way of experiencing the coffee beans themselves.
- This Increases the taste level so good. Believe me, using pre-ground coffee does not provide any flavors. Using new and fresh ground coffee obviously makes your taste level to the richest point.
- It gives a sweet smell, a cleaner cup of delicious coffee.
- We know, coffee has a lot of health benefits. From weight loss to cancer prevention, coffee plays a wonderful role for most people. The point is, in order to obtain the maximum health benefits from coffee, the beans need to be as fresh as possible. Freshly ground coffee provides you the maximum potential health benefits. Remember: The fresher the bean, the bigger the health benefits.
- Freshly ground coffee provides less pungent, smoky aromas and less bitter taste.
If you always use ready-made pre-ground coffee and never ever experienced the taste of freshly ground coffee, you are obviously missing the original aromatic flavor of the coffee. I guess, you currently do not know the difference. If you once start to use the freshly ground coffee, you will notice the taste and aromas are stronger and also more noticeable in your coffee. So, what are you waiting for? You should try it because of its high level of benefits and bolder aromas and deliciousness.